The writer Inge Deutschkron unveiled the first commemorative plaque for Otto Weidt, a brass-colored aluminum plaque, in the driveway of Rosenthaler Straße 39 on May 13, 1993. The initiative for the plaque had come from her and the Association for the Blind.
This wall plaque was removed on September 4, 1999 and replaced with a bronze ground plaque with the identical text directly behind a granite verge, for the sake of better visibility.
The plaque bears the text:
In this house was
Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind.
In the years from 1940 to 1945
mainly Jewish blind and deaf people worked here.
At the risk of his own life, Weidt protected
them and did everything to save them from
Several people owe him their lives.
Otto Weidt is buried in the Zehlendorf municipal cemetery, Onkel-Tom-Straße 30, Abt. 22 U 319 (grave of honor).
His gravestone is inscribed:
Manager of a workshop
for the blind, became
a helper for Jewish people
in great need