In 1936 Otto Weidt established his firm under the name Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind in the basement of Großbeerenstraße 92 in the Berlin district of Kreuzberg. From 1940 on the workshop was based at Rosenthaler Straße 39 in the Mitte district, occupying the entire first floor of the side wing of the building. Blind and deaf Jews produced brooms and brushes in the workshop. The factory was classified as „important for the war effort“ because some of its products were made to order for the Wehrmacht. Otto Weidt managed to protect his workers from deportation for some time by bribing Gestapo officers.Although its workforce was severely reduced after the deportations in 1943, the Workshop for the Blind maintained production until shortly before the end of the war. After the war Otto Weidt continued running the firm; his wife, Else Weidt, took over after his death in December 1947. In 1952 the Provisioning Office of East Berlin City Council closed down the Workshop for the Blind.
Back to overview